09-14-2013, 03:48 PM   #7
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
Fun day at Gingerman yesterday. Just picked up the Harry's Lap Timer, which worked flawlessly other than being off pretty significantly on the straight speeds on some laps.

This was my first time out with NT01s after RS3s. Read multiple reports that they're a faster tire, but times yesterday were dead even with RS3s. As far as feel -- believe I prefer the RS3s. The NT01s feel like a softer sidewall, with more lean, body roll, especially through the fast sweeper section of the track (1:00-1:10 in the video). I was running ~36 psi hot. I know they're a noticeably wider tire than the RS3 in 275 width. Taller, softer sidewall as well?

Gingerman typically has very reasonable early/late season rental rates. I rented earlier this spring and ran open track all day with 5 guys total. If you're in the Midwest and might be interested in something this fall/next spring, chime in here. Fun track!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC3 View Post
What was the ambient temp?

Try ~34 psi hot next time, and may be even 33.
Quote:
Originally Posted by larryn View Post
I'm 3+ seconds quicker on NT-01s than AD-08s. Give them a chance, you need to drive them differently,and as mentioned, try 34lbs. That's what I run hot.

I have track envy, of having your own track day. Baller!! ;-)
Thanks for posting. Gingerman is where C/D tests all the time, isn't it? Looks like an interesting track layout--nice balance of left and right turns, as opposed to the typical clockwise right-turn dominant tracks.

The NT01s are great tires. Like the others said, give them a chance. First time out when brand-new, they're greasy, wobbly and horrible. Then after a couple of sessions they get better, and then continue to get better and better until they cord. Just don't run them in the wet once the tread wears down.

Interesting that so many people are running them 33-35 psi hot. I typically ran them at 38-39 psi hot. Thought this was the target pressure, given that we have relatively heavy cars. 38-39 worked well for me throughout three sets of NT01s, and gave me fairly even wear across the tread surface, but maybe if I had run them in the mid-30s they would have been even better. Although, again, if subjectively you felt that they were "soft" and rolled over a bit, the answer would be higher pressures to cure this, not lower, right?

Was that an old GT350 out there with you? Must have been fantastically loud and stinky!