07-17-2011, 08:53 PM   #25
lux.sh
missing two turbos.
United_States
Rep
Drives: fast around corners.

Garage List
I like the idea of WANTS vs NEEDS.
That got me thinking which one I really need more. Then I realized I don't really need the off-road capability. Honestly, I don't really have a "need" in a new car, whatever just satisfies my wants is pretty much what I need. I don't need 400hp, I just want it. I don't need the extra benefit provided by the SUV, I just want it.

Man this is frustrating. I should just settle with a friggin Porsche Cayenne Turbo for $120,000. I'll be satisfied with the car. I don't know if I'll have a place to live though.

Great opinions guys. Lets keep this C-class platform thing aside though.
It really isn't important in this discussion. More stories from people please! I'm enjoying all of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickypaws View Post
There's nothing inherently wrong with sharing platforms, many (most ) mfgs do it.

"But more telling a reason is that customers will be far more willing to fork out more money for something called an E-Class Coupe rather than one called a C-Class Coupe, especially at the higher end where the margins are bigger."

I'm talking about pricing structures here and not "good" versus "bad."
Totally understand your point. It is a good argument, a fact, and quite frankly, a valid one.
The second statement I did tell myself after the first one I posted in my previous post was, "It would've been better with dedicated E-class coupe platform".

Every industry is full of profit-oriented firms. That includes BMW.
The E-Class Coupe movement clearly defines the difference between BMW and Mercedes. I believe BMW wouldn't do something like this if they were to ever make a 5 series coupe. BMW strives for driving pleasure. This is the difference between principles of the two german companies. However, none of them is wrong. BMW and Mercedes obviously know their consumers. Majority of E-Class buyers who wants a Coupe won't be performance enthusiasts. Most of them just wanting some looks, somewhat sporty driving, and mostly about amenities and luxury. Consumers in this category will not look for how much Gs the car can pull, or how much understeer the car has for that matter. Which is exactly my story at this point of my life. Just some driving pleasure with comfortable space and technology that suits my need. The E-Coupe. It does the job.

Like someone said, there is more to a car than a platform-base. This is NOT a false advertisement, rather smart marketing and cost-saving strategy adapted by many firms. There is a no rule book stating "if you share a platform, you can't badge it differently". Its not just car industry either, this happens to so many other industries. But yes, I know you know this fact, and I honestly don't agree with the concept of this whole idea, but as a company owner, I would do exactly the same thing if I had to, so I just nod.

It is a lower cost C-Class platform car with E-Class badge, that is why the E-Class coupe is cheaper compared to previous generation that it followed, and other competitions. The cost saving done by Mercedes was handed down to customers. It perfectly works. Like I said before, Does it really matter? I've saved a thousand or two due to platform sharing, I'm paying more for the new design, more amentities and more luxury. It really doesn't bother me nor other countless e-coupe customers already. Again, a platform base no longer justifies a car in today's world. Sadly, it's the badge and the difference in design and technological options. We do live in a industry with full of annoying, extravagant marketing strategy. "The Consumer Trap" - Michael Dawson

: Prior Design Front : ACS Rear : ACS Roof : BlackLines : Simota Intake : Carbon Fiber Interior Trim :
: MTEC V3 : 24% Charcoal : V1 Hardwired : Solaris Invisibulbs/LED interior :
Appreciate 0