Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Ghost View Post
Save the manuals!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRUESOM3 View Post
2 pedals are for bycicles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken37.73 View Post
6MT is for petrol heads. You'll never have to make excuses for it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
Because swapping out worn syncromesh rings on an MT is something you could do in your lunchtime.

LOL you MT guys are funny...these threads always fill up with insecure MT owners making ever more extravagant reasons why they made the best choice.
The DCT is a closed box with lifetime oil... What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
Like the OP I own a DCT....in his position if I thought I might like to make the change to a MT, I would test drive it and then make a decision. It wouldn't occur to me to let a bunch of random people on a forum influence my decision...Sure if I wanted a recommendation for some aftermarket tat then no harm in asking - but the transmission, really?
The MT has consumable parts while the DCT doesn't, the MT's clutch and flywheel are both parts that will almost certainly need replacing once (at the very least) during the cars lifetime. The syncromesh rings also seem a little under engineered given the number of 1st to 2nd grind complaints and may well not last the life of the car.
The Getrag 7DCI600 DCT is rated to handle 600nm (the M3 produces 400nm) so there is plenty of headroom. There is no pattern of hardware failure or parts wearing out in DCTs. True if something goes wrong it will be more expensive but that is why you buy a warranty.
The DCT has two smaller clutches that are allowed to slip all the time at start/stops. Good manual gear box technique is to minimize this as much as possible so that a clutch will have a long service life. Both are supplied by Getrag who also builds DCT's for Mercedes and Ferrari. Lets hope that both will not have issues and we can all enjoy out cars for a very long lime.