Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL
Quote:
Originally Posted by russm535il View Post
Someone told me recently that to enhance the sound of the new M4 engine BMW pipes fake sounds through the radio speakers PLEASE tell me that this is not true.!

If this is correct info is a B M W sport OEM exhaust available for the M4?
I saw it on the website but was unsure if it was a standard part or an option ? If a sport exhaust is an option does anyone know if it be electronically controlled to offer a sport and also a quieter tone like my current factory supplied Porsche sport sounds exhaust

After 25 years of BMW's ( see my email address yes I did own a 1986 m535i gray mkt car It was fantastic!) I bought a 2006 911. 997 Silver Porsche coupe w sport seats Porsche sport exhaust and a 6 speed manual It is a beautiful car and has a timeless design but at age 60 it is not very comfortable for longer trips It only has 27k miles and is better than new but I am considering the idea of buying a M4
The Porsche engine has such a beautiful sound I would hope that the new M car would also sound great without any phony enhancements . That would really disappoint me If so a better option might be a slightly used E92 !
Russ DeJulio
Pittsburgh PA
Russm535il@aol.com
Everyone is doing this ( at least on certain models) to provide a nice exhaust sound for the driver but keep exterior noise levels down due to regulations. Porsche and Audi are doing it as well. Not sure about Mercedes. That said, it is the actual exhaust sound, just amplified and played through the audio system. No different than taking an acoustic guitar and playing it through an amp so it can be better heard. Just the times we live in. Anything related to the subjective enjoyment of driving is being castrated.
I thought this was debunked a while ago. Haven't we since found out there is no microphone recording engine and/or exhaust sound in real time? My understanding is that the system turned out to be virtually identical to the M5 system that just plays pre-recorded engine/exhaust sounds.

EDIT: I just did a quick search through the F80/82 forums, and this thread seems to be the best source of info: http://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho....php?t=1033236. From that, I don't think the system is the same as the M5 system, but there is no microphone and the sound you're hearing is not being amplified from your engine or exhaust. It's a synthesized engine/exhaust note intended to enhance the sound you already hear from the car.
Appreciate 0