View Single Post
      05-18-2010, 11:27 PM   #92
Meff
smiling amid the chaos...
Rep
Drives: Erratically

Ok - this is my last shot at this Swamp...

First off, your last response to me forced me to utilize both Google and Wikipedia to sort through it all - too much work Swamp seriously, and thought experiments, really ?

You also threw in a Pop Quiz -
Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Is a FD a cosmetic mod or a performance mod. Please answer that question directly.
The answer to your question is - neither. It is a modification plain and simple and can be utilized for whatever changes a driver wants to employ with their car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post

That is precisely what makes this mod so interesting. It feels better but probably is not really better for many of the things folks claim they care about. Probably 90%+ of folks not educated about this mod would feel and report that most (or maybe even all) acceleration metrics are significantly improved even when in reality they are not. This is because in gear results feel better and are better but shifts come quicker and overall results across mutliple gears probably are not. All of this adds up to producing false beliefs in most people about the efficacy of this mod (the same thing happens with other mods). Of course not to mention ego and rationalization that goes on with most mods, cosmetic or performance.
I think your above statement gives me an opportunity to articulate the point I've been desperately trying to make.

In your above quote, you indicate that the funny thing about this mod is that it can fool, or generate "false beliefs" in people and cause them to think that it (FD mod) has overall performance gains because they feel improvements. The driver can be fooled by what they feel and can then go on to judge the mod a success based on this feeling or "false belief". This shows that the driver can in fact make a decision on the success of the modification based on "feel", false or otherwise that cannot be supported by the measured data.

There are members that swear by this mod because it changes the rpm in each gear better to their liking, and those in gear changes can be measured. But there are other members that feel overall faster with the mod, or provide other reasons they like it that can't be supported by the measured data. You can point out that they're wrong to feel the way they feel, but you're not going to change the way the feel, and that has been proven with this mod, time and time again.

Flawed human perception can in some cases trump the measured data, but that's ok because the "decider" (to use a Bushism) otherwise known as the driver, is the only person it matters to.

So you're correct in all of your analysis, but being right in this case does not change the fact the some will love this mod for reasons that can't be supported by measured data - and that's ok

That is the point I've been trying to make.

Appreciate 0