View Single Post
      05-17-2010, 09:44 PM   #91
H Bomb
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 M3

anytime bro and enjoy your new ride congrats. i would drive it for awhile stock then decide what mods you want to do and think you would enjoy the most and do them one at a time as well so you can see what each one did for the car. i did mine one at a time and drove at least 1k miles with the car bf adding another so i could apprec each one

also to your other comment. Dinan does prob the most R&D of any company bf releasing one of there products to the public. i never dyno my car just bc i really didn't feel the need and after seeing how the numbers can be so far off from another and how it always turns sour of a thread i really could care less. i just did each mod one at a time and i will say i felt an improvement of each one. is it exactly the hp and tq numbers dinan claims well i don't know for sure. but i do know each one made me happy and that is all that matters to me. the one that was the biggest wow factor in terms of power added and sound enjoyment was the midpipe hands down. if i had to do it over and only pick one it would be the midpipe combo. the sound is just amazing. and the power increase was awesome. like i drove away in a new car. i have yet to pull in somewhere and someone not say something how good the car sounds so i know its not just me. and at the end of the day no drone and i can hear myself inside the car which is cool

but like i said enjoy the car stock for awhile as it is an awesome machine just stock as it is.

the next thing i am doing is the Dinan susp while it is 20% off. i have read very good things on it and i can get get better performance without having to buy a whole susp package or have the car slammed to the ground. the 1/2 inch drop is perfect for my taste

best of luck with the new ride, you will love it i am sure no matter DCT or 6sp

H

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaFish View Post
I completely agree. And calling someone's point of view "rubbish" isn't very nice..... we can all have our own opinions....

It is all about feel for me personally. BUT, before I buy, I need to be convinced. I would like to see objective metrics on the mods by the vendors that sell the mods. ActiveWerks does a good job of this. Like a Dyno graph AND an independant confirmation of improvement by a VBOX 0-60 before and after a tune, or the pulleys, or air box.... and diff.... If they actually work and prove it, they will sell lots more you would think.

I think both points of view are valid - 1) the metrics to prove that the risk of modding the car (risk to warranty) is worth the gain in performance. and 2) that the car feels faster, or pulls more, or responds quicker.

IE: the Dinan air filter - The High Flow Intake produces a maximum gain of 8 horsepower and 5 lb-ft torque @ 8200 rpm - Well does it? Dyno by Dinan please..... and lets check the 0-60 time before and after - does it make any difference for $1350 installed? OR can I just by the $70 Active Autowerks air filter and get the same result.

Now the feel part - is the throttle response better, does it sound better...

The 4.10 gears are a better feel from members here, and we do see videos of E46 M3 cars with 4.10 beating stock geared cars....

We should be able to see an improved torque curve for sure. I would love to see the 0-60 times before and after.... or a race of a E9X with stock gears to a 4.10 car - that would put this issue to bed.

(H Bomb and everyone - thanks for all your comments on my posts I really appreciate them !! I am soooo pumped to be getting my M).
Appreciate 0