View Single Post
      08-19-2014, 04:22 PM   #44
MiddleAgedAl
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonCSU View Post
Out of curiosity, what would you guys think of the father revenge killing over his sons if the other driver was not drunk and it was just a freak accident? I assume the father would still be emotionally distraught after the incident, but I am curious if he would still kill the other driver over it due to a temporary bout of grief stricken insanity.
I was wondering that too. Since the driver was drunk, and VERY much so based on his alcohol content, then in this case, the dad did society a favor. State should reimburse him the cost of the rounds he used up, instead of charging him. But, we know that after the fact, because of the evidence of the blood alcohol level.

However, what if it was some freak mechanical failure, and not the driver's fault at all (ie: he wasnt drunk, nor texting, nor getting head, etc etc).

What if, after the investigation, they found the driver had nothing in his system? What if it turned out to be suspension or brake failure, some $2 bolt fails, car doesnt respond to driver inputs, and in a heartbeat you are off the road and plowing down people on the side. That could happen to any one of us here.

Tough call, the fathers emotional reactions in the moment after seeing his kids would be understandable, but that would just make a bad situation worse if the driver turned out to be innocent.

Maybe the driver was very obviously drunk, reeked of booze, so the father had no doubt what happened, and didn't need to wait for a blood test, but that certainly isnt clear from any of the news postings. On the contrary, it says "everything went black after that for Mr. Barajas", so I'd bet the father was so consumed with rage he didnt spend a single second to determine if the driver was drunk, or sober.

I dunno, just not sure we should always condone the "shoot first ask questions later" approach. IF it turns out the driver is drunk, then I got no problem hearing that the driver "went missing" after that, never to be heard from again.