Kev
Critical Care Anesthesiologist
Hong Kong
Rep
Drives: SMB F83

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by iguassu View Post
Err - just as a note. Qualified Porsche, Maserati, Jaguar, Lotus, TVR, MV Agusta, Triumph/Norton and Yamaha mechanic.
I know how to adjust headlights - dealers and other always seem to adjust them very low to be conservative and receive no complaints of being flashed by other drivers. The headlights are definitely inferior to other recent vehicles. I have checked the deflector offset in the headlights and they are within specs. I have a solution and will implemet it. If it all works out OK then I will post details here for reference and possible interest.
BTW - Interlagos blue M3 - nice. Many, many years ago I used to race cars at Interlagos and Rio in the days before Fitttipaldi - was great fun then, really wild stuff.!!
Just an old dog now - had my fun...!!
Uhuh, master techinician? It's probably safe to assume that you are proficient in your mechanical knowledge. However, you seem to lag in your knowledge of automotive lighting. If you want a nice, sharp beam cutoff pattern, then you should replace the frosted lens on your BMW with a clear lens either from Acura or Infiniti. The Germans are not particularly good with their optics in terms of beam pattern and sharpness of their high / low beams, whereas the Japanese had it nailed right from the get go. Also, the way BMW points the light from factory is also lower than most automotive. I have to turn both 335xi's and my M3 at least 3/4-1 turn up to get a nice, usable cut-off pattern. Now, the projectors on my M3 fill the middle portion nicely even with just the low beam. In your case, since you drive with you high beams on during those situations, using the inner lights as high beam is not a solution to the problem. It will only create glare to the oncoming traffic.