02-25-2011, 04:04 PM   #19
eisenb11
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3 SSII

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay View Post
Not on these cars, everything is replaced OEM. Unless you're with some shithole insurance company who might try and replace with refurb parts. However, a BMW Authorized repair center would not authorize anything but OEM new parts for M cars - certainly hope OP takes it to an authorized shop.
That's not the case.

I have dealt with an authorized BMW repair center and they have no say. It's up to the insurance company. My insurance is USAA, which is quite respectable and they have that policy.

When I was there, this was affirmed by the repair center employee. He also told me that fortunately, the E9X cars are new enough that there are no 3rd party part clones yet (at least of the parts I was interested in). This may not be the case forever.

So the reality is that you'll be getting OEM parts, however, there is no guarantee that they'll be new. Your insurance policy is not your friend, you're being saved by lack of 3rd party direct-replacement parts.

I find it very unlikely that your policy is guaranteeing new OEM parts unless you have a specialty policy (like the BMW Insurance Plan).
Appreciate 0