04-24-2010, 05:09 PM   #6
///M Rakete
Rocket Scientist
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 2018 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by elp_jc View Post
You were doing it right: looking for the proper LOAD RATING, not a star.

Bottom line is each tire is going to handle better in certain situations. As long as you don't exceed the load rating of the tires, you can experiment all you want. In this particular case, those 101Y tires are load-rated higher than stock, so no worries at all. Heck, Porsche specs that 101Y PS2 tire, even though it's a much lighter car than ours . I bet those 101s at 33 psi (stock psi) ride identical to our 97s at 35 psi, which is what I use. For people using their cars on the streets, it's not going to matter IMO, but to each his own.
Note that the load rating may seem to be only about the car's load carrying capability but that rating is achieved by building up the sidewall, etc. So a higher load rating on a tire isn't necessarily better. Sometimes the car's suspension is set up for a given load rating on a given brand, model, and size of tire. The handling can be impacted as a result of the tire's design elements, particularly in the sidewall, that are there to attain a given load rating. I'm not saying that you have to be a slave to the "star" or anything else. Just choose knowing that the "star" tires are the OEM version of that brand, model, and size for that car.

By the way, my bad if we are saying the same thing which I think we are. You'll have to forgive me as I just finished the 2-Day M School and I'm a bit fried.