View Single Post
      04-30-2010, 08:48 AM   #13
ersin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17 YMB F80 M3

I put the "YMMV" in that post because there are different opinions about whether laser detection is really helpful. To me it is. On a few occasions it has alerted me to a laser trap up ahead before I could see the cop or he could see me. This only happens when there is traffic though. I figure that that V1 is picking up scatter off of other cars that are targeted ahead. Most of the time the alerts are false, but I always treat them as a real alert until I'm sure. Still, it has saved me a few times.

As far as turning the LI sound off, I wouldn't do that. I have a Lidatek LE-30 jammer (but I haven't installed it on the M3 yet). I mount the LE-30 low in the fender and the V1 high on the windshield. This is good for early alerts from the V1, whether it's laser or radar. In close, the LE-30 does a better job of picking up the laser. Sometimes the V1 doesn't alert but the LE-30 does. I wouldn't know if I have been targeted if the LE-30 hadn't sounded. This may not seem like much of a difference but the LE-30 has a duty cycle of 5 seconds jamming then 30 seconds off before resetting. This gives you 5 seconds to adjust your speed. This is a good thing, because as it's jamming the LEO is suspicious. But, if he gets a lock on you later (when you've adjusted your speed) he likely won't think he's been jammed. You see, errors with laser gun readings happen all the time since it is not the easiest thing to aim them correctly. And even when the gun (those that have this capability) says it's being jammed, that's not always the case so the LEO doesn't always have confidence in the "jam" or "error" condition that it is being jammed. So, an error showing up but later when the car is closer a good reading is taken, mimics real life conditions.

Sorry for the long winded reply. I hope you get my drift.

Cheers.