08-17-2013, 06:17 PM   #11
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigrob126 View Post
Very true, but frustrates me just the same.

I ...passed an older man in a mercedes..., he was flipping me off! [/quote]

He's old. You might have deserved it. (just messin' with ya.)

In defense of old people, due in no small measure to the fact that I hope to be one in 15 years, give 'em a break. They're old. My dad is 95 and still drives, and he drives slowly too, really slowly. When I go out with him and Mother, I drive, regardless of whose car it is we take. Once in a blue moon, Mother wants to go somewhere with Dad and me. When that happens I drive and Dad follows me and we both are going slowly in the right lane.

It's the one time I might be that irritating other driver. Particularly when it comes to approaching yellow lights and spots where there's a merging lane onto the road we are on. I stop for the yellow because I know Dad's not going through it. I don't move over because once Dad's following me, he stops paying attention to how to get to his destination. So if he can't see me right in front of him, he may not see me turn. (It's happened and you'd be surprised how far someone can get in the few seconds it takes for you to make a turn and in your rear view mirror see them go straight and then turn around and hustle to catch up with them.)

Once he's missed a turn, and lost sight of me, I have to then catch up to him, pull along side him and honk so he'll look and see it's me. Then I can get back in front of him and we can continue the trip. He's good with operating his car. He's good with seeing cars around him, but he sees cars, not a blue car, brown car, black car, grey car, etc. They are all just dark cars. Not late model, not old, just dark cars. He knows how to handle the traffic and his car given that there are cars around him.

If we are all going somewhere and he knows how to get there, he doesn't follow me. He drives at his pace, I drive at mine and meet him and Mother there.

As for Mother, I'm sure anyone who knows her today would describe her as a generous, regal, kind, sweet old lady. And to them that's exactly what she is. Around the house with just Dad and me, she's a different woman. There's something about a car, most likely the difficulty of getting out of one while it's moving, or once it's left the neighborhood, that she suddenly must say all the things she might have tried to say at home, but neither Dad nor I felt like listening to, so we just walked away from her and let her keep talking until she got tired of talking to herself. She's 88 and he's 95, so he has to list to her in the car. I don't don't have to and I won't. The last time I was in a car with Mother was 2003.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0