View Single Post
      03-25-2012, 01:12 PM   #237
phillegal
Registered
Rep
Drives: '98 LR Discovery beater

Quote:
Originally Posted by db71 View Post
Yes but people only see the TUV and don't read the details and say. HRE wheels are TUV certified. I can find probably 50 comments on here that say just that. When in fact 6 HRE wheels are certified.

It is not lying but could definatly be misleading. like I said earlier not what they say it's what they don't say.

I think somewhere (either in this thread or a similar one) it has been mentioned that not every wheel is TUV certified because that would be extremely expensive. You do not need to test every offset, rim size etc. as long as for each style (or similar enough styles), at least one wheel is tested. FEA can (assuming you know what you're doing) reasonably test the other sizes/offsets. Arguably, rim to rim, the amount of material and method in which they are produced does not vary greatly. As long as one rim passes certification, it does lend greatly to the notion that all rims produced by that manufacturer should also pass.

On the other hand, if a manufacturer has zero certifications, there are no ways to assess if ANY of its wheels are safe. Therefore third-party verification is necessary.

I don't think it's misleading, but rather that a lot people are not very bright. 6>0
Appreciate 0