03-29-2008, 12:52 PM   #24
johnnymu
Warranty Killer
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: Nike shoe

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFan View Post
psht...I've got an engineering degree, and I don't do anything related to my major!

My advice? Figure out a ROUGH idea of what you would like to do, and get a somewhat general degree. For instance, I have a degree in Mechancial Engineering, which is a very general engineering degree as opposed to something like Aero, Petroleum or Welding. Electrical and Industrial Engineering are also general degrees. Granted, engineering isn't for most people. Accounting is a very valuable degree, because it will teach you how to break down and evaluate a company. You don't have to go into public accounting with an accounting degree.

If you have some sort of technical degree or professional degree, an MBA becomes much more powerful. Not to diminish the value of an undergrad degree in business, but having a degree in something useful, but not business , will make you a more well rounded candidate for companies down the road. If you do go for a business undergrad, I would go with accounting.

If I were doing it over again, I'd get my degree in Mechanical Engineering, but I'd probably have a minor in accounting or economics.

BS in Mechanical Engineering and also not in the same field.
Fortunately, doing well enough to pay the bills. My recommendation, keep all options and connections at hand.

Appreciate 0