View Single Post
      06-20-2013, 09:18 AM   #13
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by kotik View Post
i'm sure its on par with GS. The argument between GS and Z06 is very similar to 335 vs M3... it's just not the same.

Valve train... well... about 50/50 chance you drop a valve through your block. No mods it will get replaced under warranty, but roll in there with tinted windows and you are out 15k for new engine. Valve seaters get worn out too quickly or something. There are a few aftermarket companies that do better material for the seating, better valve and springs, and bore the heads a bit. Solves the problem 100%. 7-10 owners of Z's on the forums (certainly seems like that many) are getting it done preventively, and when they open up to replace those items they do have in fact worn out parts... so like a time bomb. There are a few ls7's with 100k+ and track time, no problems... so can't say all, but 50% is a safe to say number (based on forums). They have a whole sticky dedicated to this...
Thanks for the explanation. Shame really, because the car would be awesome to have otherwise. I just can't deal with these 50% chance of kaboom engines. One of the reasons I stayed away from the E46 was the whole VANOS tab issue. Sure there are ways to fix it now with kits coming out, but I'd rather not deal with it at all.

I need to get a ride in a Z06 one day. I'm positive it'll make my M3 feel like it's standing still.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0