Alpina_B3_Lux
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Audi R8 LMX, BMW M550i xDrive

Garage List
2009 335i  [8.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by flipm3 View Post
This is some sad news, but at the same time always a great reminder of how important safety equipment is when we take our cars out on the track. It's always nice to invest all our money in fancy mods, but always make sure you guys invest in proper safety equipment.

What scares me the most is that I often see photos of guys running the Ring without helmets. I don't know the Ring's rules and regulations, but do they not require helmets?

To get in an accident like that without a helmet is absolutely terrifying...
Actually, it's not that simple. The helmet rule has in particular been put in place for cars that are not equipped with airbags, such as fully race-prepped cars with roll cages. For these, you absolutely need to wear a helmet as there is no other protection.

However, for 95% of the cars driving during the Touristenfahrten on the 'Ring which are not prepped like that but are normal street cars, a helmet would most likely make things worse, as the crash tests and passive safety measures of normal cars do not take wearing a helmet into account.

Alpina_B3_Lux