02-14-2013, 08:32 AM   #31
paradocs98
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertyu View Post
The Tesla S is NOT faster than an M5. It may have a slight advantage off the line, but that is about it.

The test that everyone talks about is bogus in my eyes. The Tesla driver jumped the start pretty noticeably, and the M5 driver launched like there was a cop next to him (okay I exaggerate a bit here, but the launch was clearly not a best effort). Also, if you really pay attention, the M5 driver granny shifted as well. IMO, they used a manual M5 because there is no way to sandbag a run in a DCT M5 without clearly letting off the throttle.

They also conveniently used an engineered test finish speed of 100mph, because there would be no way they could find a way to show the Tesla winning in a traditional quater mile. The M5 would just suck the doors of the Tesla in such a contest, and there would be no way to hide that.

These are obviously my opinions, but c'mon, the M5s are capable of 11 second quarter miles at over 120 mph, and the Tesla is nowhere near that universe.

Like I said, it was an engineered test, using all Tesla-vested-interest participants, with all parameters constrained to the Tesla's advantage.

If I owned the M5, there would be zero chance that Tesla would win, even if race was constrained to 100mph. I would be in it to win in my M5 (dct, of course), and that Tesla would be sucking on the fumes from my climate-altering, Polar-bear downing M5.

I could run that same test and convince most viewers that a stock VW GTI is faster than an M3, but those with a brain would see right through it (provided they were not blinded by subconscious political ideology like many are for an electric car).

Witch all that said. I feel the Tesla S is the best of breed for current electric cars, and is one of the best looking sedans I've laid eyes on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 997GT3 View Post
I'm not seeing it. Even the overly generous Car and Driver has its 0-60 at 4.6 seconds and its 1/4 mile in 13.3 seconds @ 104. Those are E46 M3 numbers not F10 M5 ones.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...-s-test-review
Now that makes sense.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlai View Post
Dude! Why would you want a 500hp V8 in this as it can already out-accelerate (and quite possibly out-handle)a F10 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohh_5H1T View Post
took the words right out of my mouth. This car is badass IMO. Would def. consider it for myself in the future!
See above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 997GT3 View Post
You're kidding, right? A Tesla S won't outperform an M5.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohh_5H1T View Post
theres a video on youtube where it does...
See above.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4sevens.com View Post
I have an e90 m3 supercharged putting out about 650hp as well as a Tesla performance S. The S is actually faster off the line under 50mph. The M may be faster with launch control if you get it right. The S launches consistently and is terrifyingly fast.
But once that initial off-the line jump of the Tesla gets reeled back in, I'm sure your M3 walks on by.

Like I said, put a 500hp V8 in it, and I'd be all over it.