10-20-2011, 09:31 AM   #19
checkmate
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M3 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefan View Post
Am I the only one that would rather have a very low mileage mint E46 M3 comp over an E92 M3? The competition package back then actually had some tangible changes (unlike current one.. don't get me started). And they are still really great cars. The E92 M3 isn't that much of a better performer overall particularly when price is considered. The E46 M3 is still a more "pure" M car as far as pure goes. Inline engine design, orange gauges, heavy steering, simple suspension layout, etc.

Problem is, those mint cars are far and few between. If it isn't mint, well, see above posts for the host of problems and failures. However I certainly would not call the problems "high frequency" by any means. High frequency in forum fear mongering maybe. Remember, too, that if the recall was done, you're probably good to go. 2006 E46 M3 Competition is the one to have. Manual transmission, of course. And M-Cloth seats if you can too!

So yeah, overall the E9x is a better car. HOWEVER, if you are considering an E46 M3, particularly a mint, well taken care of 2006 Comp package, then I think you're making a good choice still. Make sure they did their oil changes at sane intervals though... not every 20,000. And make sure of course that the recall was done. And, as always, get a PPI by a certified mechanic.
Quote:
Originally Posted by erhanh View Post
+1. E46 is a great car, and I think it looks better than E9x.
Yes-aesthetically the E46 M3 is a classic. However if you want something that delivers the 'rawness' of an ///M then get the Z4M Coupe. It has the S54 engine (same as the E46) but an even better steering and power to weight ratio over the M3 . The E46 M3 is more of a practical proposition however and I think that's what you are leaning towards. The E9X is a much car in that it has better quality materials inside than the E46 and yes-is more refined. The current M3 has a stiffer suspension and a better turn in compared to my old E46. Its better as a daily driver as well and sounds much better.

However the E46 M3 was only slightly better than the E36 M3 in terms of hp-321(Eurospec E36) vs 343 (Eurospec E46). The current M3 makes 420hp (Eurospec) which is a much bigger HP leap.

If I had some disposable $$$ left around-I'd get the E36 and throw a GTR body kit and upgrade it mechanically. The steering feel on that car is super!
Appreciate 0