Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Before this turns into another DCT vs. 6MT thread, I'm going to attempt the (possibly impossible) task of summarizing the main points that have surfaced out of the countless times this discussion has been had in one form or other.

The main appeal of DCT seems to be (in no particular order):
- DCT is drivable by people who can't drive stick, which can help with wife acceptance factor, for example.
- DCT shifts faster, more precisely, and more consistently than any human ever could, which means more people can go faster with less effort in a car so equipped. If you're the type who likes to get in a car have it go as fast as it can in your hands, then the fact that DCT lets you flick a paddle to always pull off a fast and perfectly executed shift might make DCT the choice for you.
- DCT is a remarkable piece of engineering. Some people just enjoy having a piece of interesting cutting edge technology.
- DCT has Launch Control.
- DCT is more livable in bumper-to-bumper traffic when there isn't really an opportunity for driving enjoyment.

The main appeal of 6MT seems to be (in no particular order):
- People who drive stick CAN'T drive it, which gives some owners peace of mind since it keeps their cars out of the hands of others who might otherwise ask.
- It requires more work to operate and more practice to master. If you're the type of person who enjoys being more involved in the drive and finds it rewarding to get more out of the car as a result of hard work and practice rather than having a computer just do it perfectly for you, then 6MT might be for you.
- 6MT is easier and cheaper to repair. DCT was originally sold as a sealed unit and was only replaced, never repaired, though I'm hearing there have been some field replacements now.
- 6MT is based on tried and true technology, which means reliability is fairly certain, whereas DCT is still new so its long-term reliability is still an unknown quantity.
- 6MT may not be around much longer, so some people want to get it while they can.
That was and is not the intend of this thread, let us simply make our mark in the poll and check the percentage

Thanks for your learned comments I am sure we are all aware of them. After all we all appreciate a fine automobile just like yourself and that is why we drive one of the best cars mankind has developed

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0