03-14-2014, 12:41 AM   #1013
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundpilot View Post
Classic power on oversteer. Next time try to anticipate that, if you do, you will be able to react almost immediately. Small, but quick coutersteer whould have prevented that spin. Corrective steering should be rapid enough to catch the back of the car before it starts to slide.
He did countersteer. At 0:25. Wasn't all that slow.

Anyhow, classic tank slapper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dazedone View Post
I decided to forgo euro MDM and go DSC off yesterday at Willow and this is what happened. I'm too much of a noob and don't have enough practice to instinctively correct my screw-ups. I really need to go to a race school and practice this stuff on other people's cars. I got rock chips all over the side of my car . Euro MDM will remain on until I can properly get my technique down

You did 1 of 2 things correct: you steered into the slide, @ 0:25 (your front tires turned to left).

But, you lifted off the throttle. It's hard, but you gotta either stay on the throttle as you steer into the slide, or ease off of the throttle nice and smoothly, instead of abruptly lifting off.

If you lift off the throttle, in terms of weight transfer, it has the same effect as hitting the brakes in that, the weight transfer to the front. Which lightens the rear. (Conversely, if you get on the gas, weight transfers to the rear and the rear of the car squats & the front end gets light.) Now the rear tires (that are only lightly touching the ground now) are prone to swing. Why swing? Because you countersteered (which you're supposed to).

All cars are designed to go straight sans artificial countering force. When the car gets sideways while the steering wheel is turned, if you let go the steering wheel, it spins by itself towards the center. Or, if you hold onto the turned steering wheel, the backend will swing & tries to line up with the direction of the front tires (i.e. the front tires tries to get back to straight position, or the backend swings to line up with the direction of the front tires).

So, in your video, when your car started to oversteer (backend steps out to the left), and you countersteered (to left), but lifted off the throttle, because you for that moment were still holding onto the steering wheel, the now-lightened backend swung out to the right so as to line up with where the front tires were pointing.

At that moment, the video shows that you countersteered to the right, which is correct. But, by then, you dont' have any throttle-vector, so physics/momentum has taken over and that second countersteer is inadequate to counter the tank-slapper your car is going thru.

Anyhow, the initial oversteer could've possibly been prevented had you unwound the steering wheel and tracked out to the left more as you were getting on the gas. You can see from the forward-center cam that there were lots of room to your left.
BRP 1:56 | CVR 2:01 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
Appreciate 0