View Single Post
      03-25-2014, 11:16 AM   #1
MasterP
Colonel
Rep
Drives: All the M's

Increasing S65 reliability

So my 2008 e92 engine blew. Hole in the block. No immediate known cause yet. Looks like the top end may have been damaged too from debris. Rod bearing failure is suspected given my cars production date and mileage.

Sad thing was it wasn't even being pushed. Happened very suddenly. Just a sputter, then warning lights then nothing. Car can crank but won't run.

The car is still under warranty thankfully.

So given the age of my car I doubt the warranty company will give me a brand new engine. But regardless of what the replacement engine is I was hoping to gather some information on what can be done to increase the reliability of this engine?

I read a Giant long thread about the rod bearings and connecting rods having extremely tight tolerances which can create oil lubrication issues or in some case actual contact with metal on metal.

Going to 0w-60 seems doable since the low mileage change intervals I would be ok with. But what else can be done? If the bottom end needs to be built up this would be the time to consider it since the warranty company is,offsetting some of the labor. I've read countless rod bearing threads to the point where I'm dizzy.

Will not consider a stroker of any kind, no exotic engine swaps either.

I just want this car to tolerate high RPM use. If it also includes more frequent maintenance I am ok with that since I drive this car less than 500 miles a month.
Appreciate 0