08-11-2016, 08:24 PM   #439
Theodore
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hierlevelz View Post
So which of these are a tried and true method? I received my tool today in the mail from TxStig "M Division" and it worked flawlessly for the all the driver side coils and 3/4 of the passenger side coils. The PS coil closest to the firewall is a mUthA to remove. I have one more spark plug to change but after 2-3 hours in 37 degree weather I threw in the towel on the 8th plug. I will have to revisit it soon but i need another method to remove coil. I see the OEM tool has a simple yet effective design that gives you the leverage to pop the coil pack. I wont be spending $300 on it however. So I have to come up with another means of tackling this last coil. Or go back to gym and work on my finger strength lol. Any ideas folks?

OK so I came up with a simple way to remove last coil using M Division coil puller and a couple hand tools. See photo for reference

Basically used a 21mm wrench and a socket to provide some leverage to remove the coil. Pretty much the way the factory tool works.
Thanks, this was a great idea and an invaluable suggestion! For those who don't have a 21mm or similar sized wrench, a very large set of adjustable pliers can be used as a replacement and locked down around the Division M puller. Use a tall socket or scrap piece of wood as a substitute. Both of the rear coils came out in under 60 seconds each for me using this method.

Last edited by Theodore; 08-31-2016 at 06:57 PM..
Appreciate 2
///Mobbin1478.00