07-21-2011, 12:12 PM   #17
3XTR3M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by mazing View Post
Well this could quickly spiral out of control into a mine is better than yours discussion. The OP was asking for feedback on a vert and none of the original questions were centered on the issues you state for not understanding the logic for buying one at all. If there was no market BMW wouldn't produce them.

Now if I follow the logic stream here the only perfect M would be a coupe. Why make a 4 door super car or a convertible super car? Why does Porsche offer convertibles?

I think it is silly to question why someone would wnat a vert, vs. a coupe etc. I am not a professional driver nor an automotive design expert. I chose a covnvertible because thats what I wanted, M3 power and handling with a drop top. Could it be lighter (yes if they went to a soft-top)
I like the fact that is actually 2 cars in one, an awsome fair weather ride and I can put the top up and its as if it is a totally different vehicle.
However, the added weight is to boost rigidity since they do remove B Pillars (so the point about reducing rigidity/integrity of the car is erroneous)

They wouldn't just cut it up and not re-inforce elsewhere which is traditionally why verts are heavy.

In the end to each his own, if I was still in NY I would never have purchased a vert (would have went coupe) but where you play also has an impac on the decision. Additionally, I like the fact that you don't see too many verts (maybe because based on your logic it is not the perfect car as the M3 Coupe) but it is for me and it is more than adequate. The drops in performance in my opinion are minimal for a DD type car and I get the added benefit of a tan. Its the ultimate tanning machine.

To each his own though its all good and we are still all part of the M club. Which ever car you choose is a matter of preference. Its like adding options, 6MT or DCT there is no right or wrong just what is right for you. OP if a vert is what you want then get it, if "performance declines" scare you off then don't.
Sometimes, no matter how hard you try to come across unlike an ass and actually state numerous times that it's just my personal preference, someone is still going to take it the wrong way.

I did not start this as a mine is better than yours in any way shape or form and made an effort to clearly state that. If to you a car with a roof is not an option, no matter what my car with a roof is, how can mine possibly be better? It is an opinion and a preference.

I was truly hoping someone would be able to give me some insight about choosing a vert, but all I keep getting is defensive responses. Even tho I tried not to offend anyone, it still happened.

I did not start a new thread about this because I really don't care enough, and judging from how the last few posts went, it would go to hell in a hand basket.

I'm not some irrational asshole and I would ask the same question to a Porsche or Ferrari owner. I do have family who have a Porsche Turbo Vert and a F430 Vert. I don't get that as much as I don't get an M3 vert but since it's family I guess it easier to have that convo without anyone getting offended.