10-11-2010, 04:38 PM   #34
TailHappyM3
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
Well... there is a fix. A 996 GT3 RMS will and does solve the problem; that is if you are of the camp that it is a problem. Porsche knows this and could easily correct the leak. It is easy to believe that Porsche is just BS-in, but there is also evidence that their claim has substance. Either way it is not something to dwell on when considering one of these magnificent machines.

Just because some on RL believe are annoyed with this issue does not lend any substance to their claim that it is a flaw. Porsche also claims that there are a few extra ponies to be had because of this RMS set up. Furthermore, they claim alternatives lessen the power output.

Before you get all defensive show me your mechanical engineering pedigree as well as ultra high performance engine building resume and I might buy into your theory. I'm not saying that you can't be right, but I won't buy into it because of bunch of Rennlisters, or whomevers, are disturbed that some oil may seep onto the garage floor. I frequent RL so I am aware of the issues.
You may not be fazed by it but most would be after dropping that kind of coin on a car and seeing that it seeps oil. I don't need a degree of any kind to understand that Porsche has a design flaw here and did not intend to design it this way although I would agree it's minor to some people. But, to some it is unacceptable and understandably so. Oil seepage of any kind is not normal regardless of the type of car and quite frankly if Porsche could've fixed it they would. I am well aware of Porsche's attempt to fix this problem since 2007 on the 7GT3 but with no success yet to my knowledge. I have seen this personally with a friend's GT3RS and fellow Rennlisters (with substantial knowledge on this topic) who all have had no solution to the problem. FWIW my 6GT3 did not leak at all while I owned it. In fact, far fewer 6GT3 leaked compared to the 7.
Appreciate 0