01-15-2008, 09:22 PM   #66
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardodoc View Post
Lucid. I'm just guessing that 09 production will start in September. I'm expecting software upgrades to the PROGMAN for the M-DCT to be implemented at that time and therefore have requested a December delivery in U.S. I found the frequent software changes for the first year BMW 645i to settle down at about the middle of the second model year run in 05. So discretion tells me to wait til March 09. But, I'm anxious to get the car as soon as I can. My experience with a new model BMW in the past involved many visits to the dealer (More than 10).

I know that some feel that's what the warranty is for. But my life was completely disrupted by frequent visits to fix the many software problems. Driving crummy smoke saturated rental cars. I'd rather let someone else work these things out with BMW mechanics and PUMA cases and PROGMAN updates and then buy.
Yes, it'd be a real downer to have this car sit in the shop. But I think this technology has matured considerably. I hear VW did not have any issues with its automanual for instance, which should be a similar design. Yes, that's a low torque application, but still. And I am hoping BMW learned some valuable lessons with the SMG software. Plus, this transmission is supposed to be much smoother, less trauma to the components, etc.

Did your dealer say anything to you about MY09 production? A few months ago, a local dealer told me MY09 would not be released until Spring'09, but I think he was BSing me to get me to put money down at the time.
Appreciate 0