TVMA Doc
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3, Jerez Black

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaron Bell View Post
Why do people do this?
The funny thing is that the ONLY people this would impress are the very ones who can tell that it's a fake. For example, my 9 year old son is a gear head and he points out pretty much EVERY fake /M, AMG, F, etc. badge. It's getting a bit tougher as every manufacturer is trying to cash in with the special edition car with the upgraded badge, but he knows where such badges belong and where they are placed only for the "real thing". He laughs and points at the vehicle, often with the driver noticing and trying to do their best invisibility impersonation.

My wife on the other hand doesn't even notice the "real" cars. Even when they are pointed out to her she doesn't realize the difference between an S65 AMG and a Corolla. She is fooled by the badges, yet couldn't care less about the badge because she doesn't even "know" to be "impressed".

I had a great set of frantic looks in the rear view mirror of the car ahead of me last week. He was in his 325i "M3" in front of my in my e90 M and from the look of his face in the rear view, he was fully aware that I knew he had a fake badge job. All I could do was shake my head and smile.
Appreciate 0