TheBingoBalls
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by piloto View Post
BMW M does not need a halo model. Audi did, as despite its RS4 (B5 version), it was still lacking in being associated with performance. Not since the original Ur Quattro did it have something so special. BMW on the other hand, has consistently had the M cars, and they have consistently been highly regarded by the motoring press and public alike.

About the only rationale that I can see for a BMW halo car is to demonstrate a new powertrain concept (e.g. what the "i" vehicles are now doing).
Agreed. I know it would be cool to have that ONE performance model and I know how awesome the R8 is but I don't know about the rest of you but I get tired of hearing R8 this and R8 that. When you look at each model individually, that's all Audi can brag about which some people may think is cool but while everyone is touting the R8, Mercedes and BMW, while they may not have a R8 of their own (ok maybe Mercedes does), they're busy creating a whole line of cars that are arguably better than their Audi counterparts. It may not have the performance specs of a R8, but if BMW can breakthrough with the "i" cars, I believe it will become BMW's R8 and introduce a new market like they did with the 3-Series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDS2015 View Post
Where I'm from the fanciest dealers are BMW, Audi, Merc, Lexus, and Porsche. Audi always has an R8 sitting in their showroom, Merc has an SLR Mclaren sitting in theirs, and Porsche, is well Porsche. All of those might be losing money on their showroom floors but boost customer traffic and thus increases sales.
All the while, BMW doesn't have a halo car to lose money on but still increase their sales QTR after QTR and year over year. Now I'm not saying that just because BMW is on top they should stop innovating, instead I'd rather they reinvest into their current line-up making them better than making a R8 that would likely lose money and only sell to a handful of people and just to say it's better than a R8 for argument purposes. (Though it would be nice stick it to all those Audi fanatics who think the R8 is the be all end all when it comes to BMW vs. Mercedes vs. Audi debates...)
Appreciate 0