01-08-2014, 01:15 PM   #1803
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by regular guy View Post
[The 702/703's were still installed in the rods, so I quickly took the measurements. The following night, I replaced the 702/703's with the 088/089's and took those measurements too.
Looks very good so far RG. I think I'm quite close to a fairly strong reversal of my prior overall speculation on this topic.

However, part of bearing installation is a permanent yielding (deformation) of the bearings (called crush). Wouldn't it be a no-no and potentially large source of error to remove and reinstall the 088/089 bearings, measuring only the diameter at 90° in the initial install and then eccentricity after a removal and reinstall? Obviously those older bearings were tough to impossible to get. I'm sure kawasaki00 can provide additional guidance here (not my area of expertise also). If this is an issue, perhaps a quick verification test with 702/703s might be in order (i.e. is eccentricity affected by removal and reinstallaton).

Also on a loosely related point, I was certain that someone mentioned prior in this thread that Clevite is not the S65 bearing manufacturer. That was the source of my prior comment on that particular point.

Also, any idea on if eccentricity can be closely and approximately measured on a new uninstalled bearing? I wouldn't think that eccentricity is due solely to yielding/crush during installation. There must also be a variation in thickness along the virgin bearing shells.

Lastly on the eccentricity and flow. Your description seems a bit imprecise, it is not that small clearances or small eccentricity will stop the flow, it would just reduce the flow. Thus in any given time interval providing less flow rate and hence less cooler oil and cooling.
| XPEL Full Front Wrap | Hardwired V1 | Interior Xenon Light Kit |

Last edited by swamp2; 01-09-2014 at 02:38 AM..
Appreciate 0