07-07-2007, 09:53 AM   #12
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steved View Post
There was nothing wrong with the steering. I drove my M3 CSL this morning and felt that the E92 M3 had better steering feel.

None of the damp reviews have made any comment thus far about the types of road we were driving on - it was glassy smooth. It takes two elements to provide feel through the steering, tyre and road surface and yet these comments fail to even show consideration of these factors. We identified a slight numbness upon initial turn-in (as I mentioned in my earliest posts) but this varied depending on the road surface, so we did not consider it an indication of poor steering. On roads higher up the hills it felt fine.

I drove there in an Audi RS4 which steered very nicely on the roads down to Marbella, but around the twisty bends of our test route it felt shite (the M3 felt much better). I also read in one of the reviews a comment about the TC light flashing on the M3, and how this reflected on its lack of traction. Ha! We ran both RS4 and M3 up and down the hills at least a dozen times, driving v quickly, and it was the M3 that gained more traction and pulled distance out of tighter corners.
Thanks for your input on the steering issue Steve. One would think BMW has the car driven by many test drivers before tuning the steering the way they did.

And, yes, I remembered your initial comments about how the M3 had more traction than the RS4 on the hills when I read the pistonheads comment about the tracktion light frequently coming on. I am much more inclined to go with your observations than theirs. For one thing, you had an RS4 there on the spot, and although you probably could not do an all out comparison, it's more than what the other magazines seems to have had at their disposal (never mind the review which tried to compare the M3 to the RS4 coupe).

Looking forward to the full article in EVO.
Appreciate 0