View Single Post
      01-22-2009, 01:17 PM   #56
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Quote:
Originally Posted by techimo View Post
I posted this as a reply to another thread but thought it would be interesting for M3 owners to weigh in. I asked a couple questions about 335i vs M3 if M3 = $3k more and the answer was always M3 all the way, instead of "you have to get the car that's right for you"..which assumes that the M3 is always superior for everyone. But, I have gripes with the M3 even though I know it's the better car all around, which could push me towards a 335i regardless:

-M hood bump annoys me while driving. My preferred position is closer to the wheel to reach the clutch and highish, so the bump is accentuated since the hood is well in my view.

-Fat M steering wheel annoys me, I don't have gorilla hands

-The V8 engine noise while cool at first, and cool at 8,000 RPM when you're hauling ass at full throttle, isn't necessarily what I want to hear every minute of every drive. Personally, I'd rather have silent and explosive power i.e. a tesla roadster.

-I like acceleration and effortless speed. I can cruise along in my e46 330i at 100 and it's nothing. The 335i feels similar. The M3 at 100 to me, doesn't feel as luxury or effortless at 100.. It feels like a raw race car at that speed, not a luxury-sports car.

-The more available torque in the 335i @ 1300rpm means that I can get a 6MT and fudge the shifting when I feel lazy while driving around at less stressful lower RPM levels if I feel like it and still have power without having to be in just the right gear at the right speed always.

-I have no desire to track the car-- anyone that buys an M3 and hits the track with no pro-training or driving experience is asking for a spectacular and very embarassing wreck. Just search youtube for m3 crash. The M3 is spectacular but can easily exceed a newbie track driver's limits.

-M3=200miles on a tank & 15mpg. I detest Escalades/hummers/heavy oil users and polluters so this is a big deal to me.

-I don't want people screwing with me on the freeway, constantly trying to race me, saying shit to me in parking lots, keying my car, or anything else. I'm 30 but I look 20, so I have to deal with the young looking M3 owner issues from other peoples envy/jealousy/anger, I don't want speeding tickets from bully-cops (not one ticket in 9 years of driving a 323Ci then 330i at a constant 90mph all over the bay area freeways and no radar detector) and I want to maintain a low profile.

So.. While I'm quite sure that the M3 is the superior car, it isn't necessarily right for everyone and thus this isn't just about economics. BUT... I know very well that all of my above bitching might fly out the door after spending 24 hours driving the M3 around .
I typed out a long elaborate reply. But I just deleted it because the answer is easy. If this car doesn't immediately appeal to you, and doesn't make you excited every time you go to drive it. It's not for you. Casual daily driver is casual, the M3 doesn't fit what you need in a car.