View Single Post
      10-02-2014, 07:06 AM   #16
douglee25
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbyrd View Post
Great to know as I'm in Dallas, and I'll be looking to do this in another year or so. I'm aware of several other M3 owners in the DFW area that have been looking for a reputable shop for bearing maintenance - yes, I said maintenance.

Please PM me the cost if you're not comfortable sharing here.

I'm on my second engine - mine blew throwing rod bearings 1 and 4 at 82,000 miles. I plan to do this when this engine has 50,000 miles.

Thanks, OP!
See updated original post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acree View Post
I'm also in Dallas and would be interested in knowing the cost...
See updated original post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hujan View Post
They look pretty good. My guess is this is the second set. How long have you had the car? What oil have you been using?
I just purchased the car a few weeks ago. I'm using Rotella T6.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman831 View Post
Pls PM me cost as well. Looking into doing this in the near future since I've recently gone FI.

Group Buy on bearings and installation in DFW?
See original post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by edwinm3 View Post
Were blackstone tests done prior to this? If they were I'm curious to know what they said.

Thanks
Yes, an oil analysis test was completed previously. See first post for a link. My lead levels were 7x the average. I understand analysis is about trending, but I found a couple of very very small specs or flakes. To me it appears as though it could have come from the edge of the bearings. Others disagree, but nonetheless that's what I found. I know it's not magnetic for that matter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMRLVR View Post
These bearings look better than most S65 bearings I've seen at that kind of mileage.

The engine had no sign of contamination in the oil by looking at the bearings which would lead me to believe the engine was serviced quite regularly by it's previous owner(s)

Of note is considerable wear at the edges and parting lines. The parting line wear is most likely excessive crush on the bearings and the wear on the edges most likely mean slightly distorted rod big end bores. Is is also possible that the edges could be experiencing a bit of fillet ride but the photos are not lodge enough for me to say for sure.

All in all your engine looks better than most I've seen and you can be confident it will last for quite some time with the new bearings installed!
I agree with what you've said. I will be inspecting the bearings tomorrow when I pick up the car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MFKN3 View Post
I thought the OP had high lead readings and metal shavings in the oil filter.

Wonder why pan had been off. Perhaps threaded drain holes or for bearings.
I did have high lead levels. See first post for the Blackstone report link.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SenorFunkyPants View Post
Its a shame that some bearing replacement threads end up randomly spread across several different threads as it dilutes the response. It also makes tracking the results more difficult.
One trend that "seems" to be appearing is that cars from cooler climates have bearings in better shape as a function of mileage that those from warmer climes. This follows the pattern for actual engine failures.
I posted the link to the oil report in the first post so everything would be in one wrapped up package for you. JK

I hope that answers a lot of questions for people. Let me know if there's something else.

Thanks.

Doug
Appreciate 0