View Single Post
      02-10-2013, 05:07 PM   #30
Id
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: VW Golf R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo M3 View Post
I don't agree with that interpretation. I think what it shows is that there are more violent crimes in the UK, but they result in far fewer deaths (per event and overall). The question is, which do you prefer?

There are also questions as to how violent crime is recorded. I've heard that in the UK, they are more likely to record events as violent crime that would not be recorded as such in the US. I don't have any data to back this up, however. The UK is rated above places like Brazil and Russia in violent crime, for instance, which makes no logical sense.

Having said all this, you raise a great point. Poverty and oppression beget crime and violence. Vermont has some of the least restrictive gun laws in the country, and has a murder rate of 1.3 per 100,000, which is on par with countries like the UK. Which is about 1/4th of the rate in a state like California, which has far more restrictive laws.

What this means is that gun reform alone is not the solution.
It refers to the homicide rate per 100,000 population.

What it shows is that the UK is far above Western and Northern Europe, Australia, NZ etc etc.

Yep, Mexico is worse. But is that really the level that you want to measure yourself against as a nation?