10-15-2009, 03:21 PM   #59
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Surely an M3 CSL will approach (if not exceed) an F10 M5 in price, so then there must be no KERS for the new M5 either?
The CSL will be more cost effective (I don't mean cheap) this go around secondary to increased availability of the materials. Though they are testing it, it would still need to be cost effective and be useful in marketing.

Mind you that KERS can mean anything having an energy boost so technically the 7 Series Hybrid will be the first BMW to get a KERS system as it is a single mode hybrid. The M3 has had regenerative braking in the EU, so they already have had some mild EDynamics in it.

There are some other rumors floating around with a source (I can't confirm them so I call it a rumor) that this is really testing a motor for the GT2 race car as ALMS is big on the Green Challenge... so if that is true this has little to do with a production car. BMW killing F1 should allow some of the tech to be trickled to other racing programs.

Also, BMW ALWAYS launches new technology in a new model so there is not a chance it would be released in the ///M3 before the ///M5. Why do you think they released the F01 when they did- new iDrive, F07 new N55 motor etc.... you will always see a new model get the new stuff first.