01-11-2013, 10:07 PM   #30
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Esq. View Post
I didn't see this mentioned yet, but many HPDEs require a pre-event inspection which can run anywhere between $100-150 depending where you have it done. Since OP has a 2005, a full saftey inspection would be recommended.
That seems pretty high for an inspection.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjae1976 View Post
On OEM brakes I'll eat through a set of front track pads (PF01s) in 2 weekends.

I have never been to the M School but been to the PDC. From looking at the schedule and seeing it in action, I consider the M School as the precursor to an HPDE. At the M School, it seems like you learn the basic techniques in an environment more conducive to quickly building the fundamentals needed at speed. Versus starting out doing HPDEs and kind of learning car control, spin control, and basic techniques at speed. So I think you need a lot more times to get it right in an HPDE environment. I think the Advanced school is more like a HPDE.

Unfortunately, a lot of people jump right into HPDEs like I did. I wish I would have done some, actually, a LOT of car control work before going to an HPDE.
But you're fast. OP sounds like a newb.

As a newb, I used my wife's 335 since I was driving the X5 at the time. I did 3 track days with 4 sessions each on the stock pads and they lasted almost 34,000 miles total. The brake pad light went on the last day before my service warranty went expired.
Obviously, I wasn't standing on the pads, but it also shows newbs should be FINE on stock pads. My instructor had an E60 M5 that was all stock and he was flogging it around the course for the full session he had.
Same with tires, you you manage the pressure right, they should last a while, though PS2's do chunk pretty easily.

Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."

Last edited by aus; 01-12-2013 at 01:38 AM..
Appreciate 0