View Single Post
      03-18-2012, 01:02 AM   #88
yyoo
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepless View Post
The problem is that it is not easy to get the proper skills instruction and practice, unless you start out in karts or auto cross. Despite what a lot of clubs think about their ability to provide instruction, they all pretty much ineffective. So, people are on their own to learn in their own way.
Yes, I wish there were HPDEs that taught you how to go off and how to catch your car if it gets loose at 80+ mph. For reasons of liability, that kind of driving school is very rare. There are rally schools, but they are expensive and usually inconveniently located.

With that said, people do seem to learn anyway. And I wouldn't discount the importance of a good instructor. Really good ones may be few and far between, but I've had instructors who helped me make leaps and bounds in my driving in just a session or two. And if you own an e9x M3, you can probably afford to buy the services of a professional coach for a day. A good coach can help pros go faster, so they should be able to help you as well.

By the way, I've found that the best way to find a second or two when I thought a second or two is impossible is to have someone really fast drive your car while you sit shotgun. Of course, choose wisely. You don't want that someone wrecking your car.

Last edited by yyoo; 03-18-2012 at 01:21 AM..
Appreciate 0