View Single Post
      11-07-2008, 06:25 AM   #88
MikeG_C63_AMG
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 Eurocharged C63 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by choiffer View Post
is the AMG tranny fast like the DSG, SMG or M-DCT? Or is it laggy like the 6 speed automatics in 335i's ?
The 7G transmission in the C63 has similar characteristics with the 6A in the 335i. The only difference the transmission has in C63 compared to the other AMG cars and in your 335i (99.9% correct) is the automatic "blipping" of the throttle on down shifts (An extra “over driver” gear as well in the 335i). This is an exclusive feature to the C63 transmission as of today which I wouldn't be surprised if its incorporated into the other AMG models. There is a noticeable lag on downshifting using the paddles on the steering wheel and even the shifter in the C63. In my old SMG E46 M3 I could go from 6th to 3rd gear with just 3 "taps" on the paddles and I be in 3rd. Up-shifting in the C63 is quicker I have noticed. Also, for instance say you are in 7th gear in the C63 cruising on the highway. If you simply held the "down" paddle on the steering wheel the transmission will downshift to the lowest gear possible, which depending on your speed would most likely be 3rd gear. Finally, in terms of SMG let alone M-DCT those technologies are far superior to the 7G transmission in the C63. Even though now SMG technology has become outdated except on the M5, Audi R8 I would think if Mercedes incorporated a SMG type transmission in the C63 you might have seen a few M3 buyers go with the C63. This is just my own opinion from a real C63 owner who respects and doesn't trash the M3.
Appreciate 0