Thread: Navigation
View Single Post
      05-25-2013, 12:48 PM   #20
Better With Age
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 Jerez Black

I do require a reliable NAV system for my work - yes I know, a M3 "business car". Yes - it's fun and starts a lot of profitable conversations with clients and prospects.

I have a 2011 E92 with NAV system. Agree overall BMW NAV system is inferior to far cheaper and more reliable mobile map apps but I just accepted that - but expect a minimum level of utility and reliability for what I paid.

2 BIG rants :

1. When I input a far away destination and engage from a familiar area, the system is many time sending me - from my local point of departure - in opposite directions and/or unbelievably circuitous routes on surface streets when a major freeway onramp is nearby. Solution has been to turn off NAV and re-engage when I am closer to the unfamiliar destination area. Just a real inconvenience however.

2. In downtown high rise areas the map display (without NAV directions engaged) is showing me literally on streets that are blocks away from where I really am - traveling in direction not related to where I am actually headed. This can literally go on for blocks until I am out of the downtown area and - shazam - the cursor suddenly clicks on to my real location. Interesting Google maps doesn't have this signal problem in downtown high rise areas. Thought this was an antennae problem but BMW service says it is not (Hmmm).

I discussed both of these issues with my BMW service advisor and he essentially said "hardware" is working correctly - I probably have a "software" problem that I need to discuss directly with software provider.

I just love computer technology (which now includes every automobile out there) - the hardware people throw the software people under the bus and vice versa.

The BMW NAV system is truly an expensive, high profit margin "toy" when compared to much cheaper, higher tech and more reliable alternatives. I just have a tough time balancing my iPhone or iPad in may lap, not being able to see the screen clearly due to sun glare and bad eyesight - and also enduring the driving distraction (a real safety issue in my mind).
Appreciate 0