10-29-2012, 09:32 PM   #185
italyix
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by m3an
yes the "copper" coloring is def due to the longer intervals but it hasn't been proven detrimental as I know as someone did a comparo on the e46 cars and it was the same. Yes it's ridiculous that when BMW does the maintenance all of the sudden the oil goes to 15k but in reality its not awful. I do 7500k as I feel comfortable but you must remember that all these cars have the maintenance plan and BMW is pretty stringent w/ it. So unless you're getting a car from a fanatic that changed the oil from new, or buying a new car, almost all cars will have that color on the components. I wouldn't be too concerned. Def clean that gunk out though, but I am assuming that was around the cap recess and is just build up over time?
Anyways all you can do is now change the oil on a better interval but it is what it is, and I wouldn't worry as there's not much you can do.
Thank you. I can now stop freaking out.
I bough the car used from the dealer and by the looks of it, it was not an enthusiast who previously owned it.
From what I can see the whole inside is covered in this stuff, and yes it was by the oil fill cap, you can see where I scraped it off by the first pic (area where the engine color is not gold). I'm worried about this crap potentially clogging oil passages.
So no cleaners that can help? I do plan on doing the 7500 oil change instead of their recommended one.