United_States
Rep
Drives: 2003 HPF 2.5, 2008 M3 (Sold)

Garage List
2002 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW ///M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
These cars (997S and M3) are so close in performance that part of my choice comes down to the cost of admission. Basically, there is a $20k difference between these cars depending on how you equip them, but $20k is fair. It is subjective whether or not the Porsche is worth the higher price. As much as I can afford a Porsche (I've owned three too include a 997 turbo), I still consider $20k a bit of money. That $20k allows me to buy more toys. I don't like to finance cars.

Basically, my reasons are that it's $20k more, the 997 is in it's fourth year and a facelift and then subsequent model change are just around the corner. I also believe that you can put a few more miles on the M without getting beat up in resale. (Porsches are very mileage sensitive, imo) The E9X M3 may follow suit but who knows right now.

So, I feel that I can enjoy the M for a bit and then decide if I want a 998/911
or whatever it's going to be called.
To answer your question, basically if money were no object, I probably go Porsche, but then if it were no object I'd have a M in my stable too because it's so cool. I think Southlight was right, it's too generalized to really answer.

GRKMEC summed it up nicely, the 911 is a weekend, sunny day car. To tie up another $90K for a weekend warrior is hard. Don't get me wrong, you can drive the 911 as a dd, but the miles will hurt the residuals a lot.
Besides, I need that $20k towards my GT-R in June.

How long did you have the 997 Turbo for? Why did you get rid of it?
Appreciate 0