Thread: +1 quart
View Single Post
      12-24-2012, 12:07 PM   #18
BMWSpeedFreek
Lt Col. …who can’t wait for his next track day!
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92 M3

Just had this issue - car said add 1 litre, so I did. Did not take photo (with time stamp) of the car message. Lesson #1. Lesson #2 is: if the car says add another litre in an unrealistically short time from a recent oil change, don't. Turn the car off, wait half an hour, and restart, ensuring you are on a level surface. If you can afford to, my dealer said to wait > 6hrs as that is when the car 'goes to sleep' and stops looking for a key (Comfort access I think). My last oil change was 3k km ago, and I went and drove the Nurburgring F1 track (wet) for 40 mins - end of the session, the car said it needed oil. Fact is, it didn't. One minor overfill later, and the embarassment of 'fessing up to my SA and my M-Flight brethren, I have learned a couple good lessons.

In talking with others, I think if you have BMW dealership closeby, and you can afford the time (I know, rarely), take the car to them, ask them to top it up, and they can make the assessment, that way you are covered warranty-wise...

My 2 cents...
•'12 E92 M3 Space Grey/M-DCT/ZCP/ZPP/DINAN/ACM Test Pipes/BPM StageII Tune & Coding/M Perf Exhaust, Race seats, Alcantra V2 steering wheel, gloss grills/ModeCarbon GTS wing/GTS DCT Tune, CF int trim, door sills/LUX H8 V3/CSF race oil cooler/Trackspec hood vents/GT4 Rep CF splitter & rotor ducting/Hawk DTC60/KW CS 2way NR/B'world/Hotchkis/Eibach/Apex
Appreciate 0