View Single Post
      08-08-2008, 03:26 PM   #17
KINGLEH
Major
Rep
Drives: 00 GTR - 09 E92 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by masmole View Post
I vote stock and I track quite often, and with many different cars in the past. Been attending DE's and open track days since 1999. I've experienced 2 full seasons on my heavier E60 M5 with a nearly identical caliper design as the E92 M3 and those brakes were stellar for even longer 30 minute sessions, lap after hard-braking lap hauling down 4100 lbs from 140 mph, that is as soon as I swapped only the brake pads with a race compound and the brake fluid with motul rbf. Even on the M5, the single pot caliper design was reliable and very consistent in performance. I had no problems with it. I did not feel it underperformed in any way compared to the 8-pots in my RS4 and various aftermarket multi-pot designs (alcon, stoptech) I've had in past sports cars.

The E92 M3 being lighter than the E60 M5, I see absolutely no reason to waste money on a multi-piston system, other than to improve looks. Perhaps I see its merits for competition applications but I don't race. I just attend DE's and track days for fun and camaraderie, staying within certain limits of safety. As much as I try to spend almost every weekend of the warmer months at the track, I'm not wheel-to-wheel racing and have no need for any more braking power than the stock can provide with good pads. The stock M3 brakes are already awesome.

And those that are ready to jump into a crazy multi-pot setup with oversized rotors, you had better have some fat competition tires/r-comps/slicks to take advantage of such brakes because even the stock calipers with race pads easily overpower the amount of grip that the summer compound michelin PS2s can offer under extreme braking.

Maby you gotta mash the pedal a lil harder!... i experience fade with a E60 M5 in 5 laps.. on a track that is very nice to brakes.... Autobahn and Road America (assuming thats where your tracking most) are much harder on brakes then the place i was at (Roebling Road)....

anyways.. i lost trust in the brakes after the 4th lap.. then on the 5th i was having to brake 50 feet earlier...

but i think you kinda missed the point about the poll.. money is no issue here.. its just which would you prefer.....
Appreciate 0