View Single Post
      03-13-2024, 12:14 PM   #72
jackalz9
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by nsjames View Post
hold the button in longer for DSC off and it will let you slide sideways in a power slide.

it will not let you do a complete donut. Cuts the throttle about 3/4 the way through.

personally verified in my 08, YMMV depending on whatever.

the only time I've ever felt shudders from my transfercase was on hard surfaces in a tight turn, it had 110K miles on it and had never been serviced.
I changed it's fluid and did the reset and I've never felt it since. Currently at 155k. Two winters.

I don't know why they would feel the clutches engage and disengage, they're already engaged. The system splits 70/30 all the time.

there's currently 2" of slush on the roads and it's all going to freeze tonight.
I will do more testing, for science.

edit:
you know, that guy has a 335, so it's possible that with the aditional horsepower it simply overwhelms the ability of the case to cope, maybe even hits parameters BMW has programmed in to protect it from exploding.
I am a lowly 328.
Sorry to revive an old thread. I’m on my second 335 xdrive. First one was a 2008 with the auto and now I have a 2011 with the manual. I live in Canada and we get some good snow here. I find the car to be very manageable in the snow with great traction (it would make it through 2 feet of snow). Never really experienced any of the transfer case being weird like that and I was able to do really tight donuts. I’ve never driven the Audi but I had an old Subaru Impreza 2.5i and this awd system was definitely better that that one. Driving on the highway doing about 120km/h when I car pulled out in front of me and I went sideways. A little bit of counter steering and throttle and it straightened right out. I’ve also spent many hours in parking lots and back roads for research purposes.
Appreciate 0