02-08-2010, 08:19 PM   #74
BMRLVR
Grease Monkey
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3,1994 Euro E36 M3/4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAJ View Post
Before you completely reassemble your suspension with the new parts, you might want to trial fit the new bump stops and guide supports without the springs installed. Once they're in place, put the tire back on, jack up the front suspension until it's loaded on the bumpstop and see if the tire interferes with the inside of the wheel well through the full span of the steering wheel from lock to lock.

I'm thinking that there's a risk that you may have added enough travel that the tire will now travel upwards far enough to hit the inside of the wheel well.

Dinan would have done this exercise, and they only lowed the car about 0.4". If 0.8" is too far, some shims under the bump stop will make sure your tire doesn't contact the inside of the wheel well.

I'll be very interested to hear how this goes - more travel is a good thing, and an extra 0.8" is a significant upside if it works.
This is definitely good advice and I have already thought of it. I am going to do a trial at full suspension compression just to make sure. If I don't have adequate clearance I will assemble it with either just the shorter bump-stop or the stock bump-stop and modified guide support.

Also, my 2011 will have ZCP so I am going to compare part #'s of the ZCP parts to the non ZCP parts and see if there is any differences. There is a slim chance that the ZCP will have different bump-stops and/or guide-supports to make up for the 10mm of lowering compared to a non-ZCP M3.

Finally, there is a possibility that I will like the stance of the ZCP suspension and I won't even install my Eibachs.