12-22-2011, 10:56 AM   #2
matthewk
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 X6MC, 2022 M5C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pcemkr View Post
For those with M.S. or Ph.D. in an Engineering/IT discipline, I have some questions:

Were you compensated upon graduation?
How long after completing your degree did you stay in your current position?

I'm graduating with my M.S. in Systems Engineering in May. I don't believe my employer gives a bonus or raise for this. I doubt many companies are offering anything for it nowadays; "tuition assistance is generous enough."
After finishing my M.S., I'm shooting to move to another position after the 6-month mark, since my company has a 6mo lock-in period for tuition reimbursement. Fair enough?
Your new credentials only make you more competitive amongst your peers. Truth is that your actual skills, experience and ability to sell yourself as being valuable to an employer are the only drivers to your compensation.

I have had many nice folks who have worked for me and felt because today they now have a graduate degree they deserve more money for doing the same job they were doing yesterday when they didn’t have a graduate degree. This never got them the result they expected – more compensation simply for having the credential. Truthfully it’s a relatively career limiting event to go to your boss and ask for more money for something you’ve done for yourself outside of work, no boss likes entitled staff. Everyone of those nice folks would have been far better served looking for other opportunities within the prevue my employ to leverage their new skills and provide more value - doing this leads to increases in compensation. I wanted to see them take their new skills and confidence and reach higher, I would gladly pay for that.
Appreciate 0