View Single Post
      05-16-2010, 08:18 PM   #82
mfeltiii
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '10 AW E92 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meff View Post
You're dismissing my entire argument while missing my point - and not being very nice

Mods can be measured against a baseline yes, and the changes recorded. The assessment of how these changes align with the driver's expectations of the modification however is entirely subjective. This particular mod has negative impacts in other areas that can be shown through those measurements, but if the driver likes the feel better, (ie better target rpm in each gear etc) than it's a successful modification for that driver, and maybe not for another

The goal is to make the car feel better - we are sentient beings and we assess all things by how they make us feel, and any subsequent measurements are tools to analyze, not the end goal.

Improved 0-60, 60-130 1/4 mile times etc are examples of measurement based goals, but changes in measurements can't be uniformly applied to ascertain the success of all modifications.

I am not dismissing the science at all, it is essential for us to be able to drive cars like this and I agree with you in it's value as an analysis and engineering tool to create and improve.

However, you can't measure perception - and that's what we're talking about here.

For instance, adding my cat-back exhaust did little to nothing for the objective metrics on my car, velocity/acceleration/jerk, but it sure is more fun to drive and feels like more of a beast since I got it.
Appreciate 0