Thread: Test pipes diy?
View Single Post
      12-13-2014, 05:14 PM   #19
mxa121
Major
Rep
Drives: M

Just started trying this diy this morning.
Still have not finished.

Sawzall under the car on ramps is terrible. Hard to get a good cut.
I left too much of the OEM x pipe, so I needed to cut more. Since the pipe was no longer connected to the header, it wiggled around too much. I had to remove the xpipe.
The oring gaskets to the header on one side fell apart, the header flange slid right off with it. The under pan is a pain to get off. Access is super tight without a proper lift.

Right now I have the x pipe on. The right test pipe is on. The left still wont fit. I will probably have to remove the x pipe again, put on the left side, then lift it back into place. My fear is after all that, I will have an exhaust leak and be paying a shop to fix it. And to think I was planning on a mountain drive tomorrow...

From my experience, this job is all but easy. For a forum filled with simple DIY jobs like oil changes, there should be a well documented one for this. It is NOT a simple quick and easy job (for me it isn't) and not for a noob to just dive in. Once you make the first cut, you are in it for the long haul.

I wish I could transport back in time, and take it to a shop. I would be driving it right now instead of still fighting it. Sucks.
Appreciate 0