09-08-2011, 05:34 PM   #9
JCtx
Major General
Rep
Drives: No BMW yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by heart_doctor View Post
What do you think I should do?
Well, only you can make that decision, but other than assuming money is not an issue, especially being a doctor and driving a Corolla prior (you can forgive yourself for a little 'boo-boo' ), AND that driving the latest and greatest is not your inclination (that's rare in your income bracket...and I applaud it ), here's how I'd approach it:

-What's the main reason you like driving your current M3? If it's the unique sound of the NA V8 engine, which WILL NO LONGER be available on an M3 (probably ever), I'd definitely splurge with a new one exactly the way you want. And yes, we all know it's not a financially justifiable transaction, but having tortured yourself with a Corolla when you could have driven a Ferrari, it's a justifiable move .

If you don't care about the engine characteristics, the truth is the new car will probably do everything else better. It should have a manual transmission (probably an improved one), about the same driving position and controls, at least equal driving dynamics, but definitely more power, and more torque and down low due to turbos. The problem is I'd definitely avoid buying the first year, especially under the current global economic conditions (tons of potential problems and recalls), so you're still looking at 2 years from now.

Bottom line, GET A NEW CAR NOW . Then in 2 to 3 years, after the new car is one year old, decide if you want to keep it or treat yourself to a new one (or some other car) after saving many more folks from eating too many Big Macs . Good luck with your decision, and keep us posted.
Appreciate 0