Thread: MDM
View Single Post
      12-19-2011, 10:34 AM   #21
elh0102
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i coupe

These threads about DCT amuse me. I agree, for an experienced driver, the M3 is about the easiest car to control as anything I have ever driven. It’s well balanced, has a sufficient amount of protective understeer, modest power and meager low-end torque, all of which result in a very forgiving car in which to learn or improve handling dynamics. But I’m not sure why that should induce some folks to routinely drive without DCT on the street. My car does not have MDM, since I feel like I want it either on or off. The only car I have owned that had a more aggressive traction/stability control mode that I felt was useful, was the ZO6 Corvette.

Seems like whether on track or street, the simple test is whether or not DCT is routinely intervening. If it is, then there is something to firgure out. The driver could be grossly exceeding the car’s handling limits, in which case more learning is indicated. Or, the driver is bumping DCT in situations in which he/she would remain in control without it, and maybe be faster (or maybe not). But, except for the occasional childish fun in an empty parking lot, the only reason to turn off DCT is to achieve faster cornering capability. Since we are talking about maybe the top 5% of the car and driver’s potential, turning it off for general street use doesn’t seem to me to make a lot of sense. It’s not a matter of competence really. I drove a 996 GT3 a lot of miles on track and street, a car with no electronic gadgets, and I never has a problem. But, had I hit the unexpected patch of sand or oil, and the application of braking on one corner was needed, stability control would have been appreciated. Being able to handle the car without it misses the point, I think. I don’t anticipate driving into a crash, but I’m not cancelling my collision insurance.
Appreciate 0