View Single Post
      11-02-2009, 04:10 PM   #57
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Schott View Post
I'd guess the answer is that the market for a $100,000.00 world class Cadillac is much smaller than a slightly less refined one at $70K. Also, I'm not sure the public would go for this as the prestige factor is not there no matter how good the car.

Regarding the Taurus, this car is Ford's bread and butter large sedan. It doesn't and never has competed against the foreign competition. If Ford built it to be world class, the market would be much smaller and their profits would suffer. I'm sure they could make a world class car that would have a Lincoln nameplate but Ford or even Lincoln is not Mercedes, BMW or Lexus in terms of prestige and the public and Ford know that.

Last, this is not the time for an American car company to commit time and effort towards a very expensive niche vehicle.
I think you might of missed the message I was trying to convey. Perhap the numbers I was using were too big to avoid mixing topics. The price is semantics. It could be brought down to the $30k to $45k market and its still the same thing. The American brands try to meet or do what looks like they meet the competition and then boast how their price is so much lower. Why aren't they matching price and trying to excel their products.