swiss_cornholio
First Lieutenant
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: E92 DTC M3 (AW/PS)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chitown08 View Post

I have heard people say stuff like "BMW's are like chevy's in Europe/Germany"
AKA - even the cops drive them, they are not viewed as a 'status symbol' or priced prohibitively expensive. Basically, arguing that americans are being scammed into believing that BMW's are special (and paying out the a$$ for them), when really they are nothing.

I obviously found this impossible to believe for obvious reasons, and posts such as yours paint a much different picture.

It seems more like the price in Europe/UK would mean that BMW's are much more exclusive there than they are in the US, where they can be had for half price.

More clarification appreciated.

Yes, cops do drive them over here. And the non-M models aren't exclusive. So why do we pay 30-50% more? Because we don't have a choice! BMW (and others) evened out price differences within Europe, i.e. it's not cheaper buying it in the country next to yours. Why is it cheaper in the US? Because they wouldn't sell that many over there otherwise. Now BWM needs to have an average revenue of X% per car; if they sell it below that in one country, they have to sell it above that in another. That's how I came to the conclusion that Europeans pay for the discount Americans get.
Appreciate 0